Pastor's wife and mom who knows football, watches SportsCenter and tries to make a difference along the way.
Saturday, February 18, 2012
The Ups and Downs of Adoption...
We have been home a little over a week and there have been ups and downs to be honest...but isn't it that way with most things? We have had great moments where she has loved on us and hugged and kissed and copied words we've said. We've had moments at the park with her big brothers where she has had sheer joy going down slides with them. Then we've had whining, fits, crying, grieving and lack of sleep. But the good certainly outweighs the bad!
What a precious child she is. We have gotten to see her little personality come out more and more each day. Remember how concerned I was about her file saying how quiet she was and how she didn't like loud noises and we had loud noisy boys? Ha! That is funny!!!!! She is louder than them! She loves playing with them and being noisy with them. I think she can hold her own against her big brothers...not worried at all! It also said she had a temper...now that part couldn't be closer to the truth! We have seen that...or the terrible 2's (not sure which) plenty of times. It is quite a sight to behold...can put this red head's fits to shame I hate to say!
I worry about everything now though. This is one of the ugly truths about me. I have worried about my job as a parent with my boys of course, but not as much as I do with her. I know this is bad so please don't preach at me in your comment. :) Your encouragement would be appreciated though. LOL. See...I'm an adoption newbie. I don't have a clue what I'm doing. My poor husband and also my friend who has also adopted...I KNOW I have to be driving them crazy! They have talked me off the ledge so many times this past week. Ugh! I really am trying to take a step back and calm down and take a deep breath and let God do what only He can do, but that is so easy to say and not to do. I really am like this with most major things, but it has just gone into hyper mode since we have been home. My precious hubby reminded me I've never been home full time with a 2 year old though. I had forgotten that. I've always been working and they were in day care at 2. This makes me sad, but I know that i was where God put me at the time.
Now God has put me at home. I love it...don't get me wrong, but it's an adjustment. And add a 2 year old that doesn't know me and I don't know her and we can't communicate with each other very well and that makes it even more of an adjustment! I know that my God who called us to this is faithful though. I am encouraged by this fact. I know that things will get better and communication will improve eventually and it will seem like she has been with us her whole life at some point in time. Until then I will trust...my faith will be increased and my trust will be stretched and I will see God's sovereignty more than I ever have. I have to...this is my only hope to not mess up all things parental that have been entrusted to unworthy me. Keep praying for us as parents and for our 3 kids...and mostly that we make much of Jesus in all we do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
love your honesty!! Linnea's file says she is super quiet and even Lily has already told us she was kind of apprehensive and quiet - and I have THREE loud noisy boys!! Yes I am a bit nervous. Thanks for leading my way!! Praying for you!!!
Yea! An update- you were killing us. ;) Thank you for your honesty- I am totally scared to death and it just really helps to know other real people are too. We also were told Bailey is "a nervous child," so we'll see. Hang in there- we were told the first month is the hardest...
Michele,
You have the most perfect personality for this. You have always been someone that I thought could adjust to the personality around you. God made you that way because he new that you would use it in many situations in life. It fits you. I have always loved that part of you. I do not have that kind of personality. You are great at what you do. God choose the perfect family for this. Remember the first couple of weeks at home with your boys and you really didn't understand them and what their different kind of crying meant. It's the same just with a 2 year old. You are doing a great job. Please never think anything different. Praying for you always! Love you!
One day at a time. You can do it! I kept my sister's toddlers this weekend (2 and 3) and realized I had completely forgotten what it was like to have toddlers! I'm sure you will all grow and learn a lot in the next few months. Praying for your daily strength and patience! Love you my sweet friend! Can't wait to meet your sweet daughter!
Sounds about right to me! We'll have some company for her pretty soon!! It'll be like getting your nails done - they'll be talking about you! Haha! Does she like Milo's?? and Krispy Kreme??
Leigh Ann - if I'm anything I'm honest! Her personality is very different than what I expected from the file.
Tara - I think scared is healthy and NORMAL!
Wendy - I don't know if I live up to all that, but it's probably the nicest things anyone has ever said about me...thank you sincerely!
Casie - toddler land is VERY different...have to watch constantly because she's into everything!
Debbie - she loves milo's fries...sadly, not so much on the sweet tea. We'll find out about KK soon...last Saturday morning for basketball with the boys!
I just want to thank you for allowing me to come along (virtually) on this journey with you. It has made me - sort of - long for another baby...to have the adventure unfold anew again.
I think I would struggle just like you are...heck I struggle with my birthed children (especially the one who has always been a greater challenge personality wise for me.) I question, I doubt, I worry that I am totally screwing them up...that one day I will turn on the TV and there they will sit with Dr. Phil telling the world how I (alone) managed to damage them beyond belief. LOL Yes, I know, this must be encouraging because I am more neurotic than you are LOL.
I just admire you for this walk in faith and love and courage. You will be blessed beyond measure.
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one out there. That's why I try and be honest on this blog...maybe someone is encouraged and realizes they're not the only one!! I also pray that it ministers and opens people's hearts to adoption!! I still struggle with my bio children too...have since they were born. I've always been a person that is very sure of themselves until I had kids. I second guess myself more since I've had kids then I did the 30 years prior. I think this is normal. I just pray that every day I get better at letting go and letting God. They're His children anyway that He entrusted to me...I shouldn't keep taking them back, but I do sometimes. It's my control freak nature. :-) Hang in there...you're not alone!
Post a Comment