Friday, February 24, 2012

Two weeks and counting...

Yesterday marked two weeks since we came home.  I have to say that most of the time I feel like it has been longer since MJ seems to have fit in with our family so well.  I was telling someone last week that I don't know why I pray for something and then I'm surprised when God does it.  We've prayed for this to be a seamless transition.  For the most part it has been!  There have only been a few minor things that we've had to deal with like sleeping issues at first, some 2 year old fits and a temper to boot! And then there are spontaneous moments like this...
We've also been trying to figure out what foods that she likes and get her on a regular eating schedule.  She likes to graze. She would rather eat just a little at breakfast and two hours later have a snack, then an hour later have lunch...you get the picture.  That has been a challenge along with the fact that she doesn't like a lot of things that we eat, but we're stumbling our way through as best as possible.

A couple of funny things as far as the sleeping goes: she has just this week gotten better on being able to transfer her without her waking up after we get her to sleep.  Prior to this she would wake up and it would be another 20 minutes or so to get her back to sleep.  We have tried to get her to just lay down and go to sleep in her toddler bed...we thought putting it in the boys' room would help, but it didn't.  We moved the toddler bed to our room beside our bed.  The past 2 nights when we've laid her in the toddler bed she's done great and didn't wake up!  Well, 2 nights ago around 3:00AM I heard her moving around on the mattress in her bed...which isn't uncommon as she's a very active sleeper.  I couldn't find my glasses and couldn't see over there because she's on Ernie's side of the bed beside him since I sleep near a wall.  Anyway, I woke up Ernie to check on her and he said "she's not there".  WHAT???  We got up and she had walked across the hall into the boys' room and was standing over Carson about to nudge him to wake him up!  I thought that was hilarious.  Ernie picked her up and got her back to sleep and all was well.  Last night was a different story.  Like I said, she moves all over all during the night.  Well, apparently she had moved either sideways during the night or down toward the foot of the toddler bed where the rails stop and she fell off the bed.  Luckily those little beds are close to the ground for that reason, but it scared her and us to death!  We'll see what tonight holds...Carson will be gone to his first sleepover (sniff sniff) and Jackson has a GRC activity at school and I can't pick him up until 8:20!

I have been doing my best to adjust to being a stay at home/work from home mom.  Most of the time I absolutely love it. Some of the time I miss adult conversation.  Some nights I'm more exhausted than I was after working more than 40 hours a week!  All of the time I cherish it. I know this is what God has called me to do for this time.  I pray I'm doing it justice.  Today the boys have their last day of after school care.  I'm so grateful for this.  I appreciate that the schools offer this for families who work, but I haven't liked my children being there for some time.  There have been so many things that they  have learned from older kids that they're around during that time that they normally wouldn't be and I haven't been happy about it at all.  I'm so excited about having this time with all 3 of my kids! I've never had this before and I'm looking forward to it.  I know it will be yet another adjustment for me, but I'm up for the challenge! I'll have to get MJ on a good schedule so that her nap gets done in time for her to get in carpool line with me...then keep her entertained while she's in her carseat and the car isn't moving.  I need to be first in line at 1 school in order to be able to pick up the other one in time at the other school.  Mom's shuttle service is open for business!  Can't wait until all 3 are involved in extra-curricular activies! (grin)  Speaking of...here is my favorite of all 3 children (that still sounds strange and exciting at the same time to me)...

2 comments:

WicketsMom said...

The grazing thing is pretty common at that age. At Brandon's daycare, that's exactly how they are fed (breakfast/snack/lunch/snack). It's supposed to be better for adults to eat that way too, although it is hard to fit in all those meals! Glad she seems to be adjusting well.

Debbie said...

Her little friend is coming soon! Your family is adorable!