Monday, March 05, 2012

2 steps forward 3 steps back...

The title is the way I feel sometimes, but I got some very wise advise about not looking at the day to day, but looking at a week or a month at a time.  We haven't even been home a month.  We have had MJ physically with us only 5 weeks.  These are things that I have to keep reminding myself because it seems like she fits in so well.  Example:
She really has taken to her brothers.  She loves when they are around.  She loves picking them up from school and being with them in the afternoons.  They protect her.  They give her everything she points to no matter what...I have to tell them not to give her EVERYTHING she asks for, but they love making her smile.  We were at the park one day last week and there was a little girl standing in front of MJ and they were just looking at each other...staring.  Carson walked over to them and I couldn't hear what he said, but he didn't look "nice".  I asked him not to be mean to the little girl and he said, "Mom, if she is mean to MJ then I'll hurt her".  I honestly had to keep from laughing in order to instruct him that's not how we do things, but it was so precious in a strange way. *grins*

Early Friday morning we were awakened by MJ crying in her bed in our room.  She had thrown up on herself and her bed.  She threw up several more times Friday morning.  I believe that she had a stomach virus after speaking with the nurse.  There goes the 3 steps back.  Although it was a good opportunity for me to bond with her and show her that I am her mommy that meets her needs...I think it set us a little backward in the eating department.  I felt like we were doing pretty well with that, but ever since that it's been a challenge.  I know it will work itself out though eventually...I'm ust trying to be patient.

We're doing much better in the sleeping department both in schedule for nap times during the week and at night.  She's really doing remarkably well overall so I truly can't complain!  There are harder days than others, but I try to remind myself that it's a marathon and not a sprint.  I try not to look at one day, but things overall.  This morning we played with puzzles for about 30 minutes.  That may not sound like a lot to you guys, but this is huge!! I haven't been able to get her to play with much of anything past a few minutes with or without me so for her to play with puzzles with me for that long is a big deal!

Please continue to pray us through continued adjustment and transition.  Also, pray for several of our friends who just experienced gotcha day and are beginning their adoption journey. We appreciate the support of so many!

3 comments:

KJPollard said...

Michele,
I've enjoyed reading your blog and rejoice with you that your precious MJ is with you now! Hang in there. As you know, each new child is unique, so you throw a different gender and culture and history in the mix...you guys are doing GREAT!!! (Even if do root for the wrong team ;D )

Debbie said...

I'm surprised YOU could do a puzzle for 30 minutes!! Haha! So much fun watching all of y'all. I noticed you don't tweet too much now... Must be busy!

Southern Cheesehead said...

Thanks K!!! I appreciate the encouragement!!

I don't have a lot to tweet about really. Just me and a 2 year old at home trying to keep the house clean, take care of her and get some work done too...inbetween car pool line!