We visited the orphanage where Madison spent the first 29 months of her life. Today was a hard day.
After four hours in a van, we arrived at the orphanage where we were greeted by the director and several of the nanny's who cared for MJ. As we walked through the gate towards the entrance, all of MJ's little buddies were peering through the 3rd floor railing waiting for her!
Everything went well until we entered the playroom. The caretakers asked if Madison could play for a few minutes with her old friends. Unfortunately when mom put MJ down, baby girl thought she was being returned...she didn't like that.
After a while she gained her composure and understood that Mom and Dad weren't going to leave her. She played for a while and had pictures made with her friends and nannys. As hard this was, it was very special to see just how much these people loved our MJ and how happy they were that she found her family.
Before we left, we were escorted to the place where our little daughter was found abandoned (picture attached) outside the orphanage at one of the side entrances. As you will notice, we had our picture made at this spot because years from now, when she asks questions about what happened, I can show a picture of where her story started.
Though the day was hard, I'm glad we lived it. I'm certain MJ doesn't grasp what happened today but it meant a great deal to us to hug the necks of the ladies who loved our child so well. I'm certain too there was a sense of satisfaction on the orphanages part to see the role they played in loving and preparing MJ for us.
After a quick lunch in a local noodle shop, we loaded up the van for the 4 hour return trip. Though MJ slept most of the way back (see attached photo of her sleeping) Michele and I had some time to love on her...play with her...even grieve a little for her. But one thing stood out- after a few minutes of fun time, it got quite for a moment. Then she placed her squeaky shoes in my lap, held Michele's hand, looked her in the eye, and with a smile for the ages, said, "Mommy".
Today...was a good day.


9 comments:
Wow. Sounds like today brought closure for MJ. How amazing for her to leave the orphanage, but this time with her mommy and baba.
What a blessing that you were able to go to the orphanage...and we are praising God for this opportunity for MJ and the nannies as well! I know you must be emotionally exhausted (not to mention physically!)...praying you will be able to rest well tonight, in mind, body and spirit!
That daughter of yours is so precious! And SO LOVED by all of us here!
I can't wait to hear more about the visit. I am so glad you got to go. I am praying for your family as MJ lets her guard down. I bet your heart melted when she called you mommy! So sweet!
PRECIOUS!!!!!!!!! What a beautiful post about a beautiful girl and an incredible day!!!
Typing teary-eyed after the "Mommy" part so I need to close.
Praying, praying, praying for ALL the Willis Gang!
Love you guys!!!!!!!
Awesome end to that day! Seems little Madison grasps more of what is happening than many would give a 2 year old credit for...beauty and brains! I have tears of joy for "mommy" and the entire family! Can't wait to have you all home and settled in. God is so good!
What a beautiful post- to think that a 2 year old can understand enough to be fearful that she may be left... wow. Precious.
My heart breaks for the little ones still there. I can see Jorja and Bailey peering through the railing like you described. I hope they knew we are coming for them too soon! :)
My sister, Tara, shared this with me. I got teary reading it....it brought back memories of my saying goodbye to my children's nannies in Moscow, Russia. Now, my sister and her husband are going to China soon...and everyday I wait anticipating her call to tell us she is traveling to go get MJ's other friends, Jorga and Bailey. Thank you for your sweet story and I pray blessings on your family.
You're killin' us. Oh my heartstrings! Thanks for sharing this beautiful journey with us.
Wow!
Post a Comment