I've been happily married to Michele for almost 20 years. We have have 2 awesome boys and a German Shepherd. We love each other deeply. But I must confess, there is now another woman in my life. Sure, this "other woman" is only 29 months old and weights 22 lbs but man...I'm mesmerized with her.
Her name? Madison Jade. She burst on to the scene back in July of 2011. She lived in China and I in the United States. Though we were separated by vast ocean waters and thousands of miles, I was committed to make our relationship work. At times it felt like I was the only one making an effort to "keep the home fires burning" with my letters and packages I sent her but receiving nothing in return. However I was fully aware that her schedule was extremely demanding with her nap times and diaper changes so I waited patiently...praying for her...thinking about her...looking at her pictures...hoping of the day to see her in person.
Then one day it happened. I got an email from a mutual friend of mine and Madison's inviting me to come to China and meet her! I couldn't believe it! Sure I was a little disappointed Madison didn't personally invite me but I figured that "whole inability to write thing" made that impossible-heck I was just glad I was going to finally meet her!
After a few days of rest in China, our mutual friend scheduled "the big meeting day". This was it- the months of anticipation would soon come to fruition.
Our meeting was downtown in a large office building. I hopped on the elevator and rode it to the 3rd floor where our friend had arranged the meeting. I was nervous. My heart palpitated. The palms of my hands were clammy.
The thought did occur; "what if I flew all this way and her feelings toward me are not the same as mine are towards her?" I took deep breaths. At any moment, I was going to meet "the other woman".
The doors of the meeting room flew open and there she was. The one I had so longed
to meet...to embrace...to tell her, "I love you" was before my very eyes. I was emotional. In an instant, she had captured my heart.
She was... how do I put this, not as impressed with me. But no matter. I had 2 weeks to win her over before returning state side.
The first day or so was a little challenging. I was giving everything I had but was getting nowhere. But by day three, her heart began to melt. She begin to show life...emotion...joy.
I even made her laugh- that's when I knew I had her!
Now, when I ask for a kiss, she puckers and plants a big one right on my cheek. We go for long rides in her stroller; although I do all the driving. We play funny games that make her smile and laugh from the bottom of her belly. We even have cute nicknames for each other- I call her "MJ" and she calls me "BaBa". You want to know the coolest thing? She has decided to come back home with me!
And who said long distant relationships don't work.


5 comments:
What an awesome story! Love your writing Ernie...my heart just melts with emotion...couldn't get the videos for some reason-will have to try from desktop. So happy for the entire Willis family!
Precious. Continuing to pray!
Love this.
Ernie and Michele,
As I am stuck in the house recouping from surgery, I have finally had a chance to go back and read more than just the post on FB. When I read this I just couldn't stop crying, Ernie this is something MJ will treasure forever. Thank you for sharing everything, it gives such joy to know all the Salsa, Butts and Jewelry have helped expand such a wonderful family.
Love to you all-
Alison
Thanks, AL for the huge part that you played in this journey!!!
Post a Comment