Sunday, October 31, 2010

All Things Are Possible...Really?

Matthew 19:26  Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

I've been thinking about this verse a lot lately.  This verse is in context of salvation.  Jesus was asked by the rich man how a person was saved.  When Jesus told him to sell all his possessions and follow Christ, the man walked away sad because he was rich and he apparently didn't want to part with his wealth.  The disciples continued the conversation with Jesus and were "astonished" and in verse 25 asked how anyone could be saved.  That was His answer.

I've been reading a book called "The Christian Atheist" by Craig Groeschel.  The title of the book sounds strange at first, but the subtitle explains the premise of the book: believing in God but living as if He doesn't exist.  Wow...how many times have I done that?...just in the past week?

I remember thinking about similar things when I went through the Bible study by Beth Moore called "Believing God".  There are 5 statements of faith that you say with her EVERY week on the video:
1.  God is Who He says He is
2.  God can do what He says He can do
3.  I am who God says I am
4.  I can do all things through Christ
5.  God's Word is alive and active in me
I'm believing God!

I've thought about all of these things so much lately because in my flesh I sometimes get overwhelmed with life.  Right at this very moment here's a snapshot of my world: wife, mom of 2 boys, daughter, sister, daughter-in-law, sister-in-law, friend, full time VP of Marketing and Business Development, part time Premier Jewelry Lady, trying to adopt from China (which includes raising a LOT of money), hubby and I trying to plant a church by Easter...sometimes I think, seriously God?  I have literally been in the car and yelled out, "I CAN'T DO THIS LORD!!!" 

Then the Lord speaks in His still small voice (which, if I'm honest, I sometimes don't like hearing because it's not what I want to hear), "with God all things are possible".  This morning I sang that song by Hillsong, "All Things Are Possible" and even as I type, there is a song playing that asks a haunting question, "Do I believe that You're my God?...that You're all I need; that You're all I need?"  Do I?  Do I believe in God, but merely live my life as if He doesn't really exist and that He really can't do ALL that He says He can do?  Frankly, yes, sometimes I do...confession time.

God is the God of the impossible...I HAVE to believe that and live like it to get through that never ending list up there.  Praise God that I don't have to do it...I CAN'T do it on my own.  I don't possess the capabilities...neither does my hubby no matter how awesome and Godly he is...BUT GOD!!!!!!!!  Those are the two most awesome words to me these days...but God CAN do all of those things...and God help me if I try to do it on my own or try to get in His way!  That list now changes to I am a daughter of the King, joint heir with Jesus, loved by the Most High God, a life redeemed from the pit, clothed in the righteousness of Christ, receive new mercies EVERY morning and more than a conqueror through Christ!!

With God ALL things are possible...He can do what He says He can do...Do you believe that?  Do you believe that, but live as if it's not really true?  Lord, help my unbelief!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Thanks Michele, great post. I needed that today! :)

Shalita said...

PREACH IT, SISTA! Wow, how I needed to read this! I actually think I am going to print it and carry it with me. I am constantly, sad as it is to say, in need of a reality check! NO, Shalita cannot do all things!!! BUT GOD (I LOVE those words too!) can!! NOW is the time for me to step back and let Him!