Monday, December 10, 2007

Playing catch up...tis the season!

Yes, blogger land, I'm still among the living. I'm sorry for my hiatus, but it's the most wonderful time of the year...and the busiest when you are a full time working mother of 2 children under the age of 6! We're back to regularly schedule programming now and I have a lot to cover since I've been busy playing Santa's little helper.

First of all, my favorite subject of my Pack. Of course I'm disappointed with losing to the Cowboys, but I'm more disappointed in the way we lost. We really could have and should have won that game. (I will take this opportunity to complain about the fact that there aren't any "official Packers sports bars" in the greater Birmingham area according to www.southendzone.com so I sat for 4 1/2 hours at a local establishment in my most obnoxious green and gold attire talking my normal smack to the cowboys in the room instead of sharing it with only Packer fans. There were other Cheeseheads there, but let's just say that they weren't as loud as the people in silver and blue...but not to disappoint you guys...I did represent trying to make up for the short fall.) As I was saying, we had plenty of opportunities to win that game - even with Favre hurt on the sidelines and Rodgers at the helm - but we still gave it away. That frustrates me more than anything, but it wasn't as devastating as some fans would like to make it out to be.

After the win yesterday at home against the Raiders we have clinched the North currently at 12 and 2. We're at St. Louis and Chicago and then end at home with Detroit. A rematch is desired and expected after that. It's an exciting year for the Green Bay Packers and it couldn't have happened at a better time. Favre is having a blast out there and that's when he is at his best. I've had so much fun watching him this season and feel like a proud mama (even though he's older than me).

Speaking of Favre - it was announced last week that he is Sports Illustrated's Sportsman of the Year. I couldn't think of a more deserving player this year. SI did a great job honoring not only Favre on the field, but off the field as well. I even learned some things about him that I didn't know from the article (and that's saying something there)! He's truly a unique person and I'm proud that WHENEVER he retires that no matter what he'll go out on top as a Packer!

Now, moving to college football with respect to the BCS Bowl selections (wow, that is some fancy typing to get 'respect' and 'BCS' in the same sentence...and all without laughing out loud while doing so). There are several things that seem crazy to me...one being that Alabama got into a bowl game (yes, I guess that I'm Alabama's only realistic fan). Just one year ago we fired our coach after going 6 and 6...now we're paying a 6 and 6 coach $4 million. I realize that Alabama travels well (compared to SC) and there is a really "neato" story line for the talking heads with Saban going back to Louisiana, but who is going to be excited about watching this game? The SEC had 9 teams selected to go bowling...I repeat 9! Is it just me? I will "tow the company line" and will root for all the SEC schools playing in the bowls because that is the conference my team is in, but what a joke. No one else in the country could care less about 9 SEC teams going to bowl games. Good luck LSU in the "championship" game and for retaining your coach for another year...you'll need it!

Finally, congratulations to Tim Tebow of Florida on winning the Heisman. We all knew that you were a great player, but now we are also impressed with how you conducted yourself this past weekend. You added class to the crazy hype of the show and you were a fantastic representative of your school, conference and family. I pray that my boys grow up as unashamed, outspoken and with as much integrity and class as you seem to have on and more importantly off the field. I hope that you will excel one day soon in the NFL despite the majority of your predecessors with this trophy. I hate that you ended up a Gator as an Alabama fan, but glad we didn't have to play you this year and don't next year either!

In closing, it's been an interesting season in both college and NFL. We've had fruit basket turnover in the BCS and watched some very memorable games, and we've got both an undefeated and a winless team in the pros. None was probably expected, but at the end of the day both of my teams are post-season...I just hope they don't cause me to go postal this season!!

2 comments:

Willis Blog said...

Your Royal Cheeseheadness - As far as the packers and cowboys, I got to see the game from the comfort of my own home (thank you direcTV, I love you...I really love you). I don't understand the play calling. It seemed to me like they were acting in desperation, chucking the ball 70 yards down field when they could have been a little more patient and had a real chance to win the game.
About your take on Alabama going to a bowl game, I have to respectfully disagree with you. It is an awesome opportunity for the tide to get some much-needed extra practice and the playing experience will be helpful. And I am (darn) excited to see them play again this year! And as far as our 6-6 coach, he currently has the third-rated recruiting class in the country and that will increase once Julio Jones commits. I think Nick is going to prove that he is worth every cent of that 4 mil a year, at least until he leaves to become the cowboys head coach in three years. (just kidding...i think)
One more thing: it looks like we here at Troy U. are about to lose our OC to that cow college in Auburn. Honestly, I don't blame the guy if he takes the job (who wouldn't want to triple their salary), but it makes me sick thinking about him in orange and blue. Puke. Ok, I'm done!

Southern Cheesehead said...

I agree with you on the play calling...we actually did better after Rodgers came in the game because they don't call those type plays for him since he doesn't have the arm strength of Favre. Heck...who does - especially at 38?

Anyway, I never said that I wasn't excited about seeing bama play again and yes, it is a good opportunity for them, but it's still crazy...we're horrible and it's funny for me to think of a "horrible" team getting into a bowl, but that's the way our crazy BCS is set up. I'm not saying that Ol' St. Nick isn't going to end up being great and better than 6-6...I just think that it's ironic that he had the same record of our ousted previous coach (rightly ousted, but ousted nonetheless).

Yeah, sorry about your OC...I hate that he's at that place. I don't blame him either and it's a good opportunity, but as a Bama fan he scares me a whole lot more than Borges...who was proclaimed an offensive genius just a couple of years ago by the Orange and Blue nation. I'll puke with ya!